A popular excursion destination is Liechtenstein Castle in Maria Enzersdorf. Located in the southern Vienna Woods, the ancestral castle of the Princes of Liechtenstein attracts thousands of visitors from all over the world every year. With its unique location, it has animated and inspired many artists for centuries. For almost 200 years (from 1130 to 1295), it served as a temporary residence for the family and embodies over 900 years of family history.
Liechtenstein Castle – Excursion destination near Vienna
The hilltop castle stands on a rocky ridge and was first mentioned in a document in 1136. It was built in that year as a fortification including a chapel by Hugo von Petronell-Lichtenstein. From this time, a Romanesque chapel and some – albeit partially heavily reworked – walls of the lower floors have been preserved. Between the 13th and 15th centuries, the castle was expanded several times. The stones for this came from the Roman quarry near Sankt Margarethen in Burgenland.
In the High Middle Ages and the Early Modern Period (approx. 1300 to 1800), the ownership and condition of the castle changed very frequently. During the 1st Turkish Siege in 1529, the castle was devastated. Afterwards, it was rebuilt only to be further destroyed during the invasion of the Transylvanian Voivode Stefan Bocskay. During the 2nd Turkish Siege, it was finally destroyed.
The reconstruction of Liechtenstein Castle took place between 1779 and 1903. In 1779, the castle was made accessible with stairs and corridors. After 1836, the castle was handed over to the new owner, Prince Johann II of Liechtenstein, who undertook a romantic restoration. After a long break in restoration work, construction resumed in 1884. The order was carried out with the greatest possible preservation of the existing building site and the maintenance of the internal room layout. The restoration was not completed until 1903.
At the end of World War II and during the period of Soviet occupation, the castle was again heavily damaged, and the interior furnishings and the archive were looted.
In the years 1949 and 1953, the complex, which combines the two styles of Romanticism and Historicism, was restored. From 1960 to 2007, the castle was managed by the market town of Maria Enzersdorf, used as a home for the Maria Enzersdorf scouts, from 1983 as a venue for the Johann Nestroy plays, and from 1995 as a wine museum. The costs for the renovation of the castle were not affordable for the municipality of Maria Enzersdorf, so the lease agreement was terminated in 2007. Since then, the castle has been managed as part of the Wilfersdorf estate and forestry operations of the "Prince Liechtenstein Foundation". Due to structural defects, the castle was closed from 2007 to 2009. Thus, the festival organized under the direction of Elfriede Ott took place at the western castle wall. From 2008 to 2009, the castle was renovated, received a new roof, and has been open to the public again since spring 2010.
With the essential parts of the romantic castle complex from 1130, numerous furnishings such as weapons, furniture and beamed ceilings, reliefs and the castle chapel, as well as one of the most beautiful views over Vienna, the castle has become a year-round cultural institution. The castle offers a wide range of guided tours and themed tours about the history of the castle and the Princely House of Liechtenstein.
For a refreshment, a visit to the Restaurant Hotwagner is worthwhile. The hotel and restaurant can be reached via a footpath of only about 5 minutes and will spoil you with delicacies. In addition to regional home-style cooking, weekly or seasonal treats are also offered. On nice days, you can rest and enjoy yourself here on the palm terrace in the middle of the greenery.
Anyone who would like to stay longer in beautiful Maria Enzersdorf can take advantage of the cozy rooms including breakfast at the Hotel Hotwagner.